WINS TTL

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed May 12 21:43:41 GMT 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 05:14:35PM -0400, Guillermo Gomez wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 16:59, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> > On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 03:42:27PM -0400, Guillermo Gomez wrote:
:
:
> > That shouldn't be the case.  When the client re-registers itself, Samba
> > should check the IP of the previous registration.  If that IP does not
> > claim the name, then Samba will grant the name to the new registrant.
> >
> > That's what's *supposed* to happen.
> >
> Agree... i'll check the Win98 registration process with ethereal at the
> server just to know it's happening or not.

That would be good.

> Anyway, my test was:
>
> 1.-stop everything, remove wins.dat, start everything
> 2.-clients setups the vpn link (10.30.60.1 the first time)
> 3.-name appears in wins.dat (it registers ok this time)
> 4.-hangup de vpn connection and redial again the vpn conn (got
> 10.30.60.2)
> 5.-name keeps appearing as 10.30.60.1 in wins.dat...

The WINS.DAT file is just a snapshot of what's actually in memory.  Try
querying the WINS server like so:

$ nmblookup -R -U <wins IP> <name>

Where <wins IP> is the IP address of the Samba server and <name> is the
name being registered by the W98 box.

> So the behaviour is not well understood yet. I setup win98 with it's
> groups name (wg=remotes) and name (rstation) just to make sure it does
> not colide with any other groupg in the internal network (10.60.x.x/24)

Group names can "collide".  That is, many nodes may have the same group
name.  There shouldn't be any problems with that.

> vpn ips 10.30.60.x
> internal net (samba server is here) 10.60.x.x
> cisco l-3 switches are doing the routing between bot nets

It's also a good idea to make sure the W98 box is running in 'P' mode.
Run winipcfg to check this.

> > > Result: i can't reach remote
> > > Win98 client by name.... i must achieve that in order to make Samba
> > > works in our environment if i can't Samba is out :( Help please.
> >
> > Take a look at the 'max wins ttl' and 'min wins ttl' parameters in the
> > smb.conf man page.  I still don't think that's the problem, however.  My
> > guess is that the Win98 client isn't trying to re-register.
> >
> I did but times in wins.dat remains very long, think i don't even see a
> change !!!
> wins.dat actual entry
>
> "CANAIMA-II#00" 1074460723 10.60.0.32 64R

Compare that against other values in the file.  If I recall correctly,
the time is *not* stored as seconds, but as Unix time at which the name
expires.

> and smb.conf has
>         max ttl = 180
>         max wins ttl = 180
>         min wins ttl = 120

The real questions here are:
1) whether or not Samba is sending a shorter TTL back to the client in the
   Positive Name Registration Response.
2) whether or not the W98 client is respecting the shorter TTL in the
   response.

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org