Server side printer drivers

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Fri Jun 18 15:05:12 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 06:01:50PM +0200, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Tom,
>
> even a hacker sometimes needs to look into the docu...  :)

You're right - and I'm sorry for that...  I seem to have missed that
part of the documentation when I originally read it to set the drivers.

A while after posting the question I read it and got some
enlightenment.

> Note that changing the settings on the "General" tab --> configure
> button does it for the user's personal preferences. These settings
> are stored in the user's part of the registry.
>
> Note that changing the settings on the "Advanced" tab (translation?)
> --> configure button determines the system's defaults. You need admin
> access to do it. These settings are stored in the server registry.

To note the translation - you're talking about the difference between
"Printing Preferences" and "Printing Defaults".

By the way, it is not clear from the documentation (where methods A,
B, and C are discussed) - but as I see, there's no difference between
right clicking on a printer and choosing "Printing Preferences" or
choosing "Printing Preferences" from the General tab - am I wrong
here?  I'd propose making it clear in the docs that A and B are the
same.

> The system default options are always taken if the user hasnt defined
> ones of his own. As soon as he defines his own, these take precedence.

OK, this looks good.  I'm generally happy with it :-)

I'm still curious - though - is there no way to set printing
preferences global to a workstation (not specific to one user's
profile, but also not global to all workstations in the domain using
the same printer on the same server?).  Not really that important, and
might be an advantage as well if it's not possible (less possible
mess), but I can also thing of a few time it was useful for us, back
before we had the drivers on the server.

  Thanks, sorry for the ignorance,
  -- Tom

--
  Tom Alsberg - hacker (being the best description fitting this space)
  Web page:	http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/