Server side printer drivers

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Jun 17 16:01:50 GMT 2004

> Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
> Wed Jun 16 15:20:28 GMT 2004
>
  > (Even though this is a rather general question, it seems appropriate
> for samba-technical to me)
>
> When installing printer drivers on the server side (using rpcclient
> setdriver or Windows add driver), and then setting options (in the
> printer's registry) at the server side, Windows clients seem to be
> accessing the settings of printers directly on the server.
>
> This causes everybody who tries to change the parameters of a printer
> on his machine to either change it globally for everybody (if he can
> according to the permissions in Samba), or to fail.

Tom,

even a hacker sometimes needs to look into the docu...  :)

See here, for example (there are other spots in the HOWTO collection
dealing with this also):

    http://samba.vernstok.nl/htmldocs/howto/printing.html#id2551240

Note that changing the settings on the "General" tab --> configure
button does it for the user's personal preferences. These settings
are stored in the user's part of the registry.

Note that changing the settings on the "Advanced" tab (translation?)
--> configure button determines the system's defaults. You need admin
access to do it. These settings are stored in the server registry.

The system default options are always taken if the user hasnt defined
ones of his own. As soon as he defines his own, these take precedence.

> How can I have printer driver options taken by default from the
> server, but allow clients to override them locally (and not set it on
> the server)?

Do as suggested by the procedure sketched out above.

Cheers,
Kurt