(no subject)

Maarten van der Heijden Maarten at vdg-nederland.com
Mon Aug 23 09:38:51 GMT 2004

Hello all,

I'm working on a simple CIFS/SMB client program which has to store data
on a NAS running with Samba 3.0.0 beta3, but I have a problem with it.
Unfortunately my knowledge with the SMB/CIFS protocol is limited. The
problem I encountered was when I wanted to send a SMB packet that was
larger than 255 bytes. Specifically when the NETBIOS session header was
larger than 0x0000FE as seen in ethereal. The problem is that my TCP
session is closed on the server side when I want to send a larger packet
(anything larger than 255 bytes); the server sends a FIN request to the
client (me).

This I find strange because my program does not have problems when I
want to send large packets to a random win 2000 system. I know samba
isn't an operating system, but still I find it strange. The problem also
doesn't occur when I just want to copy a file using the drag and drop
method from my PC to the NAS; the NAS doesn't have problem dealing with
larger packets.

Unfortunately I can't access the samba log files or any log file on the
NAS.

I attached an ethereal log file; the client program far from finished so
excuse my "oddities". The program sets up a session (raw, SMB over tcp),
checks disk size, searches for files in a specific directory, opens the
file with the highest number (test_338.txt), and writes data ("S") to
that file and closes the file.

I hope that somebody can help me with this problem, any help is really
appreciated!

Regards,

Maarten van der Heijden