my notes from last week's CIFS conference

Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE
Tue Aug 17 05:44:31 GMT 2004

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 05:11:48PM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> easier to achieve  with new infrastructure.  After several various
> attempts, Volker and I decided that Samba 4 is too much of a moving
> target at the moment to efficiently maintain a synchronized code tree.

I might add that I still view it as desirable to get the Samba 4 IDL output
into Samba 3. It was rather easy to do the first time, and maybe in the near
future that part of Samba 4 stabilizes a bit so that we might make another
attempt. Getting the spoolss pipe completely covered by IDL might make
especially Jerry's (and Günther's) job a lot easier.

> Beginning this week, I will re sync the current SAMBA_3_0 tree with
> trunk (keeping the new features in trunk) and we will start merging
> some new user/group infrastructure. Once that is done, we will release
> it as 3.1.0 (hopefully by the end of the month).  One other additional
> feature that Jeremy has committed himself to work on is getting the
> support in smbd for SAM replication. We would also eventually like to
> bring back the IDL infrastructure from Samba 4.

Also for SAM replication getting the hairy marshalling stuff essentially for
free out of Samba 4 would speed it up a lot I think.

Samba 4 people, in what area do you expect pidl and its output change in the
future? During the conference we talked about something in the queue for
spoolss, something with an unusual array encoding (length at the end?), but is
there more to come?

Volker