my notes from last week's CIFS conference

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Tue Aug 17 08:56:37 GMT 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 07:44:31AM +0200, Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 05:11:48PM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> > easier to achieve  with new infrastructure.  After several various
> > attempts, Volker and I decided that Samba 4 is too much of a moving
> > target at the moment to efficiently maintain a synchronized code tree.
>
> I might add that I still view it as desirable to get the Samba 4 IDL output
> into Samba 3. It was rather easy to do the first time, and maybe in the near
> future that part of Samba 4 stabilizes a bit so that we might make another
> attempt. Getting the spoolss pipe completely covered by IDL might make
> especially Jerry's (and G?nther's) job a lot easier.

That's a good point.  There's still a large amount of work to be done
before the IDL files are up to par with Samba 3's rpc_{client,server}
code, spoolss especially.

> Also for SAM replication getting the hairy marshalling stuff essentially for
> free out of Samba 4 would speed it up a lot I think.

Not to mention getting it right!  The replication interface is probably
the most complicated one in terms of the number of substructures we have
to get right.

Tim.