KIP, Powerprint Request software -samba

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Wed Aug 11 16:29:06 GMT 2004

   This looks somewhat familiar: Windows Explorer has a tenancy
to try to open all files in a directory in order to show a pretty
screen of icons, each read from icon information in the file.
Powerprint may well be doing something similar.
   When starting up the powerprint file browser, does it by any
chance have an option to just list filenames, or use small
icons, or something that causes it to not to try to open all
the files?  If so, try it and see if it causes a huge speed-up.

   If not, we might have to pull some sort of kludge, such as
a vfs that returns precached icons without actually opening the
files.  It's the directory traversal (namei/iget) and file opens
that take the time on Unix.