Accessing Samba with Pocket PC 2003

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Aug 10 01:47:02 GMT 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:57:05PM +0200, Florian Pressler wrote:
> Jeremy wrote:
> >Looks like the PocketPC 2003 doesn't like the reply from out
> >negprot. Can you send an ethereal capture trace of this device
> >talking to a Win2k/NT server and a similar capture of it failing
> >to access Samba ? Once we see where we're different it should be
> >relatively easy to track down. Either that or someone sends me
> >a PocketPC to test with :-).
>
> Hello Jeremy,
>
> thank you for showing interest in this matter - i will try to provide the
> information you need to track down the problem. You requested capture
> traces of (not) successful communication with  Pocket PC 2003 OS. I can
> offer you:
>
> http://fp.ath.cx/pocketpc-winxpclient.dump (successful)
> http://fp.ath.cx/pocketpc-samba.dump (not successful)
> http://fp.ath.cx/pocketpc-together.dump (winxp successful, samba not, then
> winxp again)
>
> The sambaserver's name is LINUXSERVER with ip 10.10.10.10, the
> winxpclient's AT-L-FPRESSLER, 10.10.10.12, the PDA is NAVI-SYS with
> 10.10.10.14.

I took a look at all of these catures, but none of the
pocketpc -> winxp client captures are useful. Neither
the first nor third capture contains a negotiate protocol
setup packet, meaning the session was already established
when you started the capture.

I need to see captures containing a negprot and session
setup (ie. the establishment of the SMB session from TCP
connect onwards) to be able to see the difference with
the Samba case.

Also please add filters to the capture so I don't see
all the other traffic going on on you network as well :-).

Thanks,

	Jeremy.