Accessing Samba with Pocket PC 2003

Florian Pressler florianp at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 9 21:57:05 GMT 2004

Jeremy wrote:
>Looks like the PocketPC 2003 doesn't like the reply from out
>negprot. Can you send an ethereal capture trace of this device
>talking to a Win2k/NT server and a similar capture of it failing
>to access Samba ? Once we see where we're different it should be
>relatively easy to track down. Either that or someone sends me
>a PocketPC to test with :-).

Hello Jeremy,

thank you for showing interest in this matter - i will try to provide the
information you need to track down the problem. You requested capture traces
of (not) successful communication with  Pocket PC 2003 OS. I can offer you:

http://fp.ath.cx/pocketpc-winxpclient.dump (successful)
http://fp.ath.cx/pocketpc-samba.dump (not successful)
http://fp.ath.cx/pocketpc-together.dump (winxp successful, samba not, then
winxp again)

The sambaserver's name is LINUXSERVER with ip 10.10.10.10, the winxpclient's
AT-L-FPRESSLER, 10.10.10.12, the PDA is NAVI-SYS with 10.10.10.14.

The version of the PDA-software is MS Pocket PC 4.20.0 (Build 13252) with
the included file-explorer. Samba is version 3.0.4-Debian, with kernel
2.4.27.

There have already been discussions on this topic, but not very fruitful
ones (MID: <BL9M.KI.11 at gated-at.bofh.it>, <1QqNL-4QH-45 at gated-at.bofh.it>,
<c6o7en$gnn$1 at online.de>). Perhaps with the help of the dumps it will be
possible to solve it... If I can help with any more input, just let me know.

bye,
Florian