[Samba Tech] Re: REPOST: Problems with Mac files?

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sun Aug 8 18:43:11 GMT 2004

David Collier-Brown wrote:

>     Ok, I read this as saying you used the smb mount program
>     on Linux to mount the files, and they looked weird.

    This is how I mount the shares:

    mount -t smbfs //DIGISERVER/ABYSS_I /mnt/abyss_1

>     1) I **think** this is the translation on Linux of characters
>        that Macs put in filenames. It looks like the Mac
>        created an Icon file which ended in a special character,
>        which got displayed as a ?

    Well, that's the funny thing.  If I look at the file on a Mac, it's
simply those four characters: 'Icon', nothing else.  If I look at it on
the Win2K server, it's also those four characters, and it's a hidden
file.  I don't know how the translation works on the Linux end.  I
suppose someone with more knowledge of how Samba sees those files can
give a better explanation?

>     2) Why the files are all executable I don't know: this
>        could be a Mac-ism or the setting of the file to "hidden".
>        The latter implies that all the files shown here are
>        hidden...

    I don't care that they're executable or not.  I've always seen SMB
files as executables when I mount a share on a linux box.  My concern
here are those translated file named that are causing problems being
read, either through simple 'ls' or 'du' or any other utility.

>     Check the path used in the smbmount command: you need to know
>     if it's the path to the new Samba 3.0.5 command or the one
>     which came with your Linux.

    The system's running the following versions:

~> rpm -qa | grep samba
samba-common-3.0.5-2
samba-client-3.0.5-2
samba-3.0.5-2

--
M | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.