[Samba Tech] Re: REPOST: Problems with Mac files?

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Sun Aug 8 19:44:44 GMT 2004

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>    Well, that's the funny thing.  If I look at the file on a Mac, it's
> simply those four characters: 'Icon', nothing else.  If I look at it on
> the Win2K server, it's also those four characters, and it's a hidden
> file.  I don't know how the translation works on the Linux end.  I
> suppose someone with more knowledge of how Samba sees those files can
> give a better explanation?

	If it was a Unix filesystem, you could see what the
	character is with
		cd <dir>; echo *| cat -v
	Alas, to see what it is on an SMB file system,
	I suspect I'd need to do a packet capture and look
	for the filename in the open request packet...

>>     Check the path used in the smbmount command: you need to know
>>     if it's the path to the new Samba 3.0.5 command or the one
>>     which came with your Linux.
>

>    The system's running the following versions:
>
> ~> rpm -qa | grep samba
> samba-common-3.0.5-2
> samba-client-3.0.5-2
> samba-3.0.5-2

	Ok, that suggests that there is no preexisting old samba,
	and that this applies to the new one...  Did you see
	the same problem with the previous release, or did you
	update samba before trying it?

	Team guys, what's an easy way to see the funny characters?
	Will smbclient show them?  I'm puzzled at the behavior of
	the rdist program with these... which is harder to debug,
	as it's affected by the characters returned by smbmount.

--dave