NTCreateAndX Response with wrong WordCount.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sun Aug 1 17:12:08 GMT 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 09:57:52AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 02:10:00AM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
> > >
> > > Okay, that's weird.
> > >
> > > 26 + 8 = 34
> > > 34 + 8 = 42
> > >
> > > ...and 26 is the "correct" number of bytes (per the SNIA doc).
> >
> > The docs (SNIA and Leach v2) are incorrect. If you simply add up the sizes
> > of fields in the packet description it's 34 bytes. That 26 is just wrong.
> >
> > As you pointed out above I think it's interesting that (34 - 26) * 2 is
> > 16 which is how big that garbage trailer is in W2K and XP NT_CREATE_ANDX
> > next generation CIFS implementation and said "Ahh, according to the docs
> > this packet is 16 bytes too small, let's make it bigger!"
>
> No, actually the extra 16 bytes are the permissions given when
> a client side cached file is stored on the client (among other
> things). There's a couple of old messages in my inbox from Steve
> French and Shirish at Veritas describing them, but I never got
> around to fixing up the implementation.

I am actually seeing 32 bytes in these particular captures.  I keep
counting it up to be sure.  The first few of these extra bytes, in all
captures I've got, really do look like garbage left over in a buffer (eg.
the tail end of the filename from the request).

The SNIA doc also talks about SD and EA information, but I don't think
that's what you're describing and, besides, the lengths of those fields
are supposed to be in the packet if they're included.

I'd love to have pointers to those messages.  :)

Thanks!

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org