NTCreateAndX Response with wrong WordCount.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sun Aug 1 16:57:52 GMT 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 02:10:00AM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 00:05:10 -0500
> "Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:
> > > I see W2K and XP have a WordCount of 42 whereas NT is 34.
> >
> > Okay, that's weird.
> >
> > 26 + 8 = 34
> > 34 + 8 = 42
> >
> > ...and 26 is the "correct" number of bytes (per the SNIA doc).
>
> The docs (SNIA and Leach v2) are incorrect. If you simply add up the sizes
> of fields in the packet description it's 34 bytes. That 26 is just wrong.
>
> As you pointed out above I think it's interesting that (34 - 26) * 2 is
> 16 which is how big that garbage trailer is in W2K and XP NT_CREATE_ANDX
> next generation CIFS implementation and said "Ahh, according to the docs
> this packet is 16 bytes too small, let's make it bigger!"

No, actually the extra 16 bytes are the permissions given when
a client side cached file is stored on the client (among other
things). There's a couple of old messages in my inbox from Steve
French and Shirish at Veritas describing them, but I never got
around to fixing up the implementation.

Jeremy.