Nbtstat vs. nmblookup & MAC addresses

Phillip Ames grathol at hotpop.com
Thu Apr 15 23:05:35 GMT 2004

Hi there,
I'm looking to hack up the source code for nmblookup

Here's what I get from nbtstat -A

           NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

       Name               Type         Status
    HYPERION       <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WRKGP          <00>  GROUP       Registered
    HYPERION       <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WRKGP          <1E>  GROUP       Registered

    MAC Address = 00-10-5A-CA-DB-42

And here's what I get from nmblookup -A:

Looking up status of x.x.x.x
        HYPERION        <00> -         P <ACTIVE>
        WRKGP           <00> - <GROUP> P <ACTIVE>
        HYPERION        <20> -         P <ACTIVE>
        WRKGP           <1e> - <GROUP> P <ACTIVE>

I primarily use Linux, and I am often in need of the MAC address of machines
not on my local net (so I can't just use my arpcache).  From what I
understand, the MAC address is returned with all the other information
nmblookup gets, its just not printed.  I've been grep'ing for quite some
time and can't figure out where it might be - can anyone point me in the
right direction?  Thanks,

-Phil