Nbtstat vs. nmblookup & MAC addresses

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Thu Apr 15 23:31:56 GMT 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Phillip Ames wrote:

>            NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table
>
>        Name               Type         Status
>     HYPERION       <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
>     WRKGP          <00>  GROUP       Registered
>     HYPERION       <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
>     WRKGP          <1E>  GROUP       Registered
>
>     MAC Address = 00-10-5A-CA-DB-42
>

> And here's what I get from nmblookup -A:
>
> Looking up status of x.x.x.x
>         HYPERION        <00> -         P <ACTIVE>
>         WRKGP           <00> - <GROUP> P <ACTIVE>
>         HYPERION        <20> -         P <ACTIVE>
>         WRKGP           <1e> - <GROUP> P <ACTIVE>
>

> I primarily use Linux, and I am often in need of the MAC address of machines
> not on my local net (so I can't just use my arpcache).  From what I
> understand, the MAC address is returned with all the other information
> nmblookup gets, its just not printed.  I've been grep'ing for quite some
> time and can't figure out where it might be - can anyone point me in the
> right direction?  Thanks,

Grab Ethereal and look at the response coming back. The Ethernet address
will be there in binary, and grep mught not be able to find it.

In addition, it might be in the response, but the data structure might not
define it,  or it might require another NBNS request to get the info.

Ethereal will help you pinpoint the problem.

Regards
-----