Cups questions ...

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Oct 20 15:10:14 GMT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, C.Lee Taylor wrote:

> Greetings ...
>
>     Slap me if I am asking the wrong list ...
>
>     First, something that might need to be in the docs ( if it is, I did
> not see it, but then I can't say I have read it from page 0-500, sorry
> ... ) If Samba starts

Ok. Please give me text to put into the HOWTO. Tell me what part of the
HOWTO it should go into and it will be done.

> before Cups start, the printer in Cups don't come up with Samba, ( lost
> our printers after a restart, and took me a few minutes and lots of
> panic to figure it out ), I see this has been fixed in RawHide.
>
>     My question is, Samba chats with the Cups deamon, is possible that
> Samba could put into the logs that it can't find the Cups deamon, might
> make less problems.

The CUPS cupsd program must be started before smbd is started.

>     Other question, in RedHat 9, they are using Cups 1.1.17, which Samba
> 3.0.1pre1 does not use the comments, but RawHide is using Cups 1.1.19,
> which Samba 3.0.0 is able to use the comments for the printers ... I
> take it that Cups 1.1.19 gives this infomation out, were Cups 1.1.17
> does not?

Samba-3.0.0 works cleanly with full feature capabilities using CUPS 1.1.18
and later. Printing works with CUPS 1.1.15 and later.

>     One last question, to backup the "Point-n-Install" printers, one has
> to backup the drivers directory and tdb with the printer info, but if I
> remember correctly, you have to shutdown smb, to that, or am I wrong on
> this account?

Correct.

- John T.
--