samba-3.0.0beta1 codeset issue on non-Linux

Toomas Soome Toomas.Soome at microlink.ee
Mon Jun 16 20:00:38 GMT 2003

Richard Sharpe wrote:

>>>In fact, I believe that the native iconv on both Solaris and FreeBSD allow
>>>for CP850<->UTF8 and CP850<->UCS-2LE, but neither seem to handle US-ASCII
>>>(ASCII) to UCS-2LE, which is the test in Configire.
>>
>>David's tests with Solaris iconv seem to suggest otherwise:
>>CP850<->UTF8 is supported, but CP850<->UCS-2LE is not, and this seems to
>>be a problem in light of this code from lib/charcnv.c --
>

> OK, in having a look at /usr/lib/iconv/*.so, it does indeed seem like
> CP850<->UCS-2LE is not supported on the Solaris system I have access to,
> but I also can't find any UCS-2LE%CP850.so files. However, it is possible
> that there is a mapping by going IBM-850<->8859-1<->UCS-2LE and so on ...
>
> Hmmm, the picture seems more complex than that ...

in solaris 9 it seems to be possible to do CP850 -> UTF8 -> UCS-2LE but
this is 2 step process. in solaris 8, it is possible as well, but with
UTF-8 ...

but at least in solaris 8 and 9 it is possible to build custom
conversion tables with geniconvtbl. this could be solution at least for
this kind of systems.....

toomas