samba-3.0.0beta1 codeset issue on non-Linux

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Mon Jun 16 19:41:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:58:16AM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>
> > > But now let's step back from that brink.
> > >
> > > Is there not some way that we could let Samba choose and use a wide
> > > variety of "iconv"?  And that we provide some "fall back" options (and a
> > > structure?) to handle as many of the common cases as often as possible.
> > > Such as a code page to handle CP850<->UTF8 and/or CP850<->UCS-2LE, and
> > > others that folk might contribute?  (Would this be re-inventing a simpler,
> > > restricted GNU-iconv?)
>
> > > See also Richard Sharpe's parallel thread about BSD.
>
> > In fact, I believe that the native iconv on both Solaris and FreeBSD allow
> > for CP850<->UTF8 and CP850<->UCS-2LE, but neither seem to handle US-ASCII
> > (ASCII) to UCS-2LE, which is the test in Configire.
>
> David's tests with Solaris iconv seem to suggest otherwise:
> CP850<->UTF8 is supported, but CP850<->UCS-2LE is not, and this seems to
> be a problem in light of this code from lib/charcnv.c --

OK, in having a look at /usr/lib/iconv/*.so, it does indeed seem like
CP850<->UCS-2LE is not supported on the Solaris system I have access to,
but I also can't find any UCS-2LE%CP850.so files. However, it is possible
that there is a mapping by going IBM-850<->8859-1<->UCS-2LE and so on ...

Hmmm, the picture seems more complex than that ...

Regards
-----