[VFS] CAP module

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Thu Aug 28 12:37:43 GMT 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 02:29:10PM +0200, Bjoern Fernhomberg wrote:
> > > NetAtalk writes filename as "dos charset", so this module will be
> > > usefull not only for Japanese but also for other charsets.
>
> This may be true for Japanese but e.g. for most western users Netatalk will
> write cap encoded MacRoman by default. I don't see how this could be useful
> for samba.
Samba3 wasn't aware of it before vfs_cap module. So it is important for
interoperability between Netatalk and Samba working on one server.

> > I still not found time to revive my patches to Netatalk to use the same
> > approach as Samba uses w.r.t. charsets so that it would be working with
> > any iconv encodings, including UTF-8. We have this working in 1.5 but I'd
> > like to finish this for current version.
>
> This is already being worked on, as we need it for AFP3 support anyway.
> Iconv is not much help, as it does not provide round trip encoding for
> most mac charsets.  Any help appreciated :-)
Well, then it needs to be fixed at iconv side so that everybody would
benefit of it. I see no reason to populate every project with their own
implementation of charset handling :)

Did you see what we have in Samba 3.0 for iconv support?
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy