System documentation of Samba

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Sep 5 17:11:02 GMT 2002

Jeff Mandel wrote:
> Could you provide some details the bug in Solaris? 2.2.2 used to work
> fine for me, but recently it has fallen apart. 2.2.5 behaves the same. I
> can think of a recent jumbo patch cluster installation that might be to
> blame, but I'd like to know if it's possible to track it down a back it
> out for now.

	Sure: it's a performance problem with locks
	which shows up when locking the index file of
	a dbm-style database (which have two files, an
	index and a data file), and which is being shared
	via Samba with PC clients. At least one site,
	and probably two, have the problem. I'm following
	it with considerable interest (I work for Sun, you
	see, although not on Samba (:-))

	It doesn't affect the performance of Samba on
	Solaris in general, and oddly enough it doesn't
	seem to hit MS Access...

>>  open_mode_check: exlusive oplock left by process 23227 after
>> break For file profile/.../office.file.doc,

	It's not related to the	problem you see, with ordinary
	oplocked .doc files.  One wouldn't oplock dbm files!

--dave
Performance & Engineering      | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering, |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com