System documentation of Samba

Jeff Mandel jeff.mandel at probes.com
Thu Sep 5 17:43:01 GMT 2002

David Collier-Brown wrote:

>Jeff Mandel wrote:
>

>>Could you provide some details the bug in Solaris? 2.2.2 used to work
>>fine for me, but recently it has fallen apart. 2.2.5 behaves the same. I
>>can think of a recent jumbo patch cluster installation that might be to
>>blame, but I'd like to know if it's possible to track it down a back it
>>out for now.
>>

>	Sure: it's a performance problem with locks
>	which shows up when locking the index file of
>	a dbm-style database (which have two files, an
>	index and a data file), and which is being shared
>	via Samba with PC clients. At least one site,
>	and probably two, have the problem. I'm following
>	it with considerable interest (I work for Sun, you
>	see, although not on Samba (:-))
>
>	It doesn't affect the performance of Samba on
>	Solaris in general, and oddly enough it doesn't
>	seem to hit MS Access...
>

>>> open_mode_check: exlusive oplock left by process 23227 after
>>>break For file profile/.../office.file.doc,
>>>

>	It's not related to the	problem you see, with ordinary
>	oplocked .doc files.  One wouldn't oplock dbm files!
>
>--dave

It sounds like there are two scenarios here:
1) Locking performance problems on dbm-style databases shared with PCs.
(We're not using any of those)
2) Race conditions caused by ??? (We have problem with this big time -
and the one I'm more concerned about)

Is the solaris bug that causes CPU race that Jeremy was referring to one
of locking on samba's own db files in var/locks?

Jeff