Browsing

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Nov 26 19:25:01 GMT 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:56:14PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
:
> Win9x "servers" are able to successfully collate browse lists for the
> local segment when acting as the LMB.  However, they do not sync their
> browse list with the DMB, so a segment which has a Win9x machine as LMB
> can't participate in cross-subnet browsing.

That's what I wanted to know.

> If your Samba machine is on the same segment as your DMB, it's not a big
> deal to tell it to never be an LMB -- the only time it would need to be
> the LMB is when all other NT servers, including the DMB, are off-line, so
> syncing becomes a non-issue.  Even so, random twiddling of Samba defaults
> is not the best way to fix a problem, and is more likely to cause issues
> down the line.

If your Samba machine is on the same segment as your DMB, it should lose
the LMB election, if it's not misconfigured.  The DMB should always win
the election on the local subnet.  If the DMB is on a separate subnet,
then I would personally prefer to have Samba as the LMB on its own subnet.
I trust it more.

Random twiddling of Samba config parameters is never a good idea.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org