Browsing

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Nov 26 18:57:09 GMT 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:28:58PM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 10:03:08AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > It's far better to use the defaults for all of these values,
> > particularly since Win9x wets itself when it's left in charge of a
> > subnet as the LMB.  (He probably is using non-default values for at
> > least one of the above options, if Samba is interfering with the NT
> > domain.)

> I'd love to get some hard data on this.  Does anyone have a description of
> what happens so I can reproduce it and get some traces?

Win9x "servers" are able to successfully collate browse lists for the
local segment when acting as the LMB.  However, they do not sync their
browse list with the DMB, so a segment which has a Win9x machine as LMB
can't participate in cross-subnet browsing.

If your Samba machine is on the same segment as your DMB, it's not a big
deal to tell it to never be an LMB -- the only time it would need to be
the LMB is when all other NT servers, including the DMB, are off-line, so
syncing becomes a non-issue.  Even so, random twiddling of Samba defaults
is not the best way to fix a problem, and is more likely to cause issues
down the line.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer