passdb TODO list

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Jun 14 08:59:01 GMT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 05:02:58PM +0300, Toomas Soome wrote:

> I cave an question regarding to pdb_ interface.
>
> in 2.2 pdb_nisplus code I translated some strings from dos to unix and
> vice-versa. this translation helped to manage information correctly from
> windows side and from unix side.
>
> now unix_to_dos and dos_to_unix calls are gone in 3.0, what should I do?
> is this translation needed at all in 3.0?

What we're going to need for 3.0 is to wrap all incoming system
strings in a function that converts to internal format, and
wrap all outgoing system strings in a function that converts
back. Then we need to determine what we will store our strings
in (probably utf8), then we need to write upgrade code that
will convert from our current mix of DOS and UNIX codepages
in databases into utf8.

This is one of the reasons why 3.0 is further away than we
think - this has to be done before we can get ready to ship.

Jeremy.