passdb TODO list

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jun 15 19:18:02 GMT 2002

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 12:25:42AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > Otherwise, all strings are 'unix strings'.
>
> But what character set is a "unix string" ? What if
> we get an incoming UCS2 string that doesn't map ?
> We need to use utf8 in all the backends.
>
> This is a good chance to fix this mess once and for
> all and I think we should take it.

Certainly, I think that the backends that have a 'native' character set
should use it - that is, LDAP and LDAPv3 servers should use UTF8, and
I'm sure that idra would probably like tdbsam2 to use UCS2.

As to the others, and things like secrets.tdb, we probably should use
UTF8, but the case is far less strong... (becouse the current setup
allows it to be changed, which may or may not be a good thing).

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net