Modifications to libsmbclient underway ...

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Jan 31 15:24:04 GMT 2002

Hi folks,

I am about to start working on some mods to libsmbclient as discussed
with Andrew B a little while ago.

I need to be able to switch on oplocks for files, so I need to do some work.

What I plan to do is to change the way that initialization works, and
add a bunch of new routines.

1. The library will provide the existing list of exposed names for
backward compatibility, along with a new static structure of names that
implement the new way of doing things. Called something like
smbc_calls.smbc_read etc with the new routines at the end.  All of these
routines will take a context as their first arg, rest will be similar to
the original routines ...

2. smbc_init2 will return a context that has been malloc'd. It will
contain all the necessary bits needed for this instance. One will be
able to init2 again for new instances.  smbc_init will now create a
default context.

3. All the old entry points will work, but they will work on the default
context only.

4. I will add a routine smbc_set_caching that can set caching on a per
file. It will translate into OPLOCKS in libsmb ...

5. I will add a version number to the library as a macro ...

Any objections/suggestions?

--
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, LPIC-1
www.samba.org, www.ethereal.com, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba