Fwd: Re: "hide unreadable" only hides files (not directories)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jan 31 15:47:06 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 17:32, Simo Sorce wrote:
> windows Nt 2k XP started using also RPCs to retrieve directory
> information, probably I have to look at these too and make them obey the
> hide unreadable files.

This isn't consistent with what I observed.
On both Windows 95, and on Window 2K, unreadable files were successfully
hidden, but unreadable/unscannable directories were not.  The directory was
displayed, but attempting to double-click results in "Access Denied".
I was able make it work by removing the line in dir.c:
ret = user_can_read_file(conn, entry);
And replacing it with:
ret = access(entry, R_OK);
(the if/then statement below needed changed to check for a value of -1)

This results in hide unreadable hiding both directories and files on both
W2K and W95.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services