FreeBSD + samba 2.2.2 problems; semi-solution

Nicholas Brealey nick at brealey.org
Sat Jan 19 04:45:02 GMT 2002

Mike Silbersack wrote:

> FWIW, further tcpdumps show that packets and/or checksums are getting
> corrupted somewhere between the windows and freebsd boxes.  The packets
> which fail always fall into one of < 5 values, and there are cases where
> retransmitted packets are corrupted every time.
>
> So, it looks like some gremlin has snuck into the freebsd tcp stack, and
> samba's just the only app in which it's easy to tickle the problem.

Mike

I think I have seen the same FreeBSD TCP stack gremlin with SMTP from
my ISP's relay machine which is running FreeBSD. I have only got
packet dumps from the non FreeBSD end but with SMTP I saw the packets
retransmitted 13 times with the same bad checksum before the connection
got reset. I have asked my ISP to investigate but I don't know if they
will do anything.

Nick