FreeBSD + samba 2.2.2 problems; semi-solution

ian j hart ianjhart at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 18 11:56:02 GMT 2002

Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> > Can you reproduce this problem on any other system
> > than FreeBSD ? I'n particular, can you get this to occur
> > on a Linux box ?
> >
> > I'm wondering if there's a TCP problem between Win98 and
> > FreeBSD when transporting SMB (which would be somewhat ironic
> > as they took their TCP stack from your source code in the first
> > place :-).
> >
> > Jeremy.
>
> @#$@#$@#$#@$@$$#@$@#$#@$#@%$$#%@!$!@#$!@#$!@#$
>
> Sure enough, I just did a tcpdump and caught a failed connection.  Sure
> enough, there's something weird going on at the tcp level.  At the point
> where the connection dies, it turns out that a packet gets lost, fast
> retransmit is triggered, and the missing packet is retransmitted no less
> than 6 times; an ack is never received for any of these 6 retransmissions.
> Many seconds after that, one of the ends gives up and just resets the
> connection.
>
> I'll do more debugging tomorrow... right now it sure looks like this isn't
> samba's problem.
>
> Mike "Silby" Silbersack

Let me know if I can help, I'm in the right time zone :)

FWIW we've been running with oplocks off since September
2001. [Mail archive 13-14th September 2001, ianjhart and
"ict technician"]. This is a live system from 8am 'till
9pm so I've not had chance to fix it. We've a holiday
coming up in February if this is still not resolved.

I can run up a test box at work on Monday. My email
address there is ict at cardinalnewman.coventry.sch.uk
We only got problems under high load (many logins), if
you can see an error under no load I can run up a windows
box at home and help you test.

--
ian j hart