feature request / suggestion - ACL protection

peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Wed Feb 27 19:03:44 GMT 2002

I've just discovered that many popular applications (e.g. Word, Excel, WordPro,
Star Office...)
reset file ownership and access control settings when editing a file.

I know this is fairly common behaviour, and a few people have suggested ways to
work
around the problems it causes. (see attached text file)  However it is obviously
logically incorrect
and a cause of some problems.  I was wondering if a Samba parameter might be
developed
to correct this behaviour.

It seems to me that it might be possible to prevent this behaviour  - at least
for files on Samba
shares - by making a note of original ownership & access control properties and
restoring them
when the file is re-written to the share.  I'm not sure if this is practical or
not - I don't have any real
understanding of the technical side of this.  However it seems to be a problem
which many people
wrestle with (see attachment)

Please, could someone from the development team (and anyone else) take a moment
to give me your thoughts
as to whether this feature is possible and / or desirable, and whether it might
be included in a future
release of Samba.

Please don't be too harsh if this seems like a silly request.
Any feedback is welcome

thanks

-peter.

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or National Transport Secretariat, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.