Samba & Helios Ethershare Integration

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Wed Feb 13 02:43:10 GMT 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 10:50:35AM +0100, David Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're a mac-based company with the occasional windows user, where the
> macs are served by the helios ethershare afp server, and the PCs by
> samba.
>
> We decided to patch samba to achieve some degree of integration, that is
> 1. map filename encoding and handle 'forbidden' characters (path
> separators etc)
> 2. be nice to the macintosh resource fork when doing directory
> operations from a samba client
> 3. append a filename suffix depending on the mac type and creator, only
> visible on samba clients.
>
> I'd like to submit that patch, if only not to have to re-patch whenever
> we switch to a new samba version... what do you say?
>

> Here's some implementation details:
>
> Currently the encoding mapping only maps between dos code page 437 resp
> 850, and MacRoman, and it's hardcoded.
I assume that you talk about 2.2 branch? Samba 3.0 supports iconv(3) and
can handle many Mac encodings supported by it. We also patched Netatalk to
provide full iconv(3) support for it as well and the integration process
will start soon (haven't talked with Netatalk developers yet).

> Configuration of the mapping is global rather than per volume. The
> server inspects the ethershare configuration to find out what parts of
> the file system are served as ethershare volumes. The implementation
> does not (yet?) use vfs modules because development was started with
> vfs-less 2.0.7 (and I had problems using vfs on Solaris with 2.2.0).
For 2.2.3/3.0 VFS module is necessary. I'm working on it and hope to
present the result at SambaXP together with stackable VFS.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Software architect and analyst             // SaM-Solutions Ltd.