NetServerEnum2 and looking for dc

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Sun Feb 10 20:26:01 GMT 2002

That function was meant to find primary domain controllers not just any
logon server (although the function is slightly less useful in Windows 2000
since all domain controllers are primary domain controllers - no more
BDCs).  Although it may have been used by a pam module (which is now
obsolete) which looked for PDCs first (then failing that - look for backup
domain controllers), there really were cases in the NT and OS/2 world (ie
when not using active directory APIs) where you had to find the primary
domain controller - so you could determine the correct target of certain
RPC and RAP calls (like "NetUserAdd" and "NetUserDelete" for example) that
needed to go to the primary and would fail to backup domain controllers or
additional servers.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin