Printing problem with 2.2.1a and 2.2.2 from a command prompt

Lars Lithen Madsen larsm at tdc.dk
Thu Feb 7 02:03:03 GMT 2002

Hello again

I posted the message below a few weeks ago, but I did not get any answers. I
have since upgraded to v. 2.2.2, but the problem persists.

This is only a problem with command line printing, printing from win2000
seems to work without any problems.

If this is wrong place to post this question please let me know.

\Lars{}

Hi There

I recently upgrade to samba 2.2.1a, and now I have the following print
problems:

In a Win2K command and cmd window

type filename > lpt1
works

print /d:lpt filename
works

copy /b filename /b lpt1
does not work! I get a file not found error. With or without the /b´s

type filename > lpt1 & type filename > lpt1
does not work either.

The file is printed once and then I get file not found error. For historical
reasons we need to use a very old Quick Basic program, that needs to print
invoices. Some of them are needed in duplicates which is handled something
like this (I am not a basic programmer so the command may not look exactly
as stated):
shell("copy " + filename$ + " lpt1")
shell("copy " + filename$ + " lpt1")

Again the first print succeeds and the second fails. I the second print is
delayed more than 12-15 sec everything is fine. I takes about 10-11 sec for
the printer to print a page. I get the same result with Win2K a different
patch levels, and the printer has not been changed during the upgrade of
samba.

I hope someone can give me an explanation.

Kind regards
Lars L. Madsen