LFS with glibc2.1 / kernel 2.2

Harald Koenig koenig at science-computing.de
Thu Feb 7 03:20:13 GMT 2002

Hi,

first: I'm not subscribed to the samba-technical list, so please
send answers to me with Cc: too.  thanks!

right now (as of samba-2.2.3a),  for Linux you're restricing
large file support for glibc 2.2 and kernel 2.4 on the _build_ system
in configure.in.

IMHO this is a bad idea in two ways:

a)
if I build samba binaries on a machine running a 2.2.x kernel,
those binaries won't support LFS when running on 2.4.x kernels.

if you really care about the kernel include files on the build host,
maybe you better include <linux/version.h> and check those version settings
(if at all).

b)
glibc 2.1 does have (limited?) LFS support too, why don't allow it
for using LFS support too ?

there are known problems with readdir() even for glibc2.1-binaries
when accessing e.g. SGI nfs servers, if binaries are compiled without
LFS support. in this case, readdir() misses to show one entry in
some directories (so you "see" only 49 files instead of 50).

compiling samba without LFS support on such systems will propagate this problem
of "invisible" files.

so I'd suggest to enable LFS support indenpendantly of glibc/kernel
version of the build system.

if this is not an option, please consider to use at least LFS
for directory operations so that readdir64() will be used
instead of readdir()  to work around those NFS2 problems.

Harald Koenig
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\