Default encrypted passwords = yes?

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at spin.ict.pwr.wroc.pl
Fri Sep 28 11:23:02 GMT 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Esh, Andrew wrote:

> My main reason for this position comes from my experience with a Windows 98
> bug I was working on with Chris Hertel earlier this year. I spent a lot of
> time searching the Microsoft Knowledge database for *anything* which
> referred to Samba. Microsoft seems to have been careful to weed out any
> reference to Samba, other than a set of tech notes which all address the
> same subject: How to turn off encryption in Windows so it will work with
> Samba. They seem to be pointedly saying that Samba is inherently insecure,
> and can not use encryption. Microsoft doesn't give instructions for turning
> ON encryption in Samba, probably because they don't want it to work. They
> want the user to be faced with disabling Windows encryption, so that they
> instead decide not to use Samba.

Oh! That changes much ... In this way M$ can use it as another
argument in the paranoic propaganda. If they're tired with competing
in the field of performance and stability, they can use other way to
"fight".
Anyway, it seems there are plans in M$ to drop support for smb/cifs in
future, so there's nothing to worry about ;-)

> ---
> Andrew C. Esh                mail:Andrew.Esh at tricord.com

Rafal 'Mimir' Szczesniak <mimir at spin.ict.pwr.wroc.pl>   |
*BSD, Linux and Samba                                  /