NetWare consolidation on zLinux/Samba

Jocelyn Denis jdenis at fr.ibm.com
Thu Sep 27 23:52:02 GMT 2001

Thank you Steven for these informations, we are investigating....

The customer environment and needs are :
   Existing 800+ Novell NetWare servers on about 100 locations world-wide
   (400 servers on the headquarter site) :
        File servers
        Application servers
        NDS servers (only one NDS structure world-wide)
        Time servers
        And some NT servers
   Customer concerns :
        Keep all the servers updated
        Administration problems
        Total Cost of Ownership
   Customer demand :
        Is it possible to consolidate NetWare file servers onto zLinux with
        Samba ?
   IBM proposed architecture :
        Headquarter NetWare file servers consolidation onto a zLinux server
        with Samba,
        Remote locations NetWare file servers consolidation onto Linux on
        xSeries.
   Preliminary technical tests :
        It seems we cannot propose a migration process from NetWare NDS to
        zLinux and/or Samba :
             We have been unable to Export NDS informations (on LDIF file)
             to Import on zLinux (only UserId and GroupId can be exported,
             that far away from what's needed !!!)
        The only way today seems to Zip / Ftp / Unzip the files from
        NetWare to zLinux, all the NDS informations needed to be manually
        entered, which is unacceptable for thousands of users....
   The last solution we now imagine is to ask for Novell to port his
   eDirectory for Linux software from Intel to zSeries platform (with NDS
   Corporate Edition ?)........

So our concern is to be able to propose an acceptable solution to our
customer, to consolidate as much as possible NetWare file servers onto
zLinux with Samba. If you can help us, you will be welcome.
Regards.

Jocelyn DENIS  -  Project Technical Leader
IBM ATS EMEA PSSC  -  eServer zSeries Benchmark Center  -  Montpellier
(France)
Dept: 1458 MOP  -  Phone: +33.4.67.34.65.39 (Tie: 38-6539)  -  Fax:
+33.4.67.34.64.75
E-mail : jdenis at fr.ibm.com

Steven French at IBMUS
26/09/2001 19:03