Default encrypted passwords = yes?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Sep 27 12:36:17 GMT 2001

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Jay Ts wrote:

> > On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any reason not to make encrypted passwords the default in HEAD?
> >
> > I would vote against it.  Will add one more step to getting a
> > simple working file server up for testing purposes.
>
> Well hey, every file server I've set up for testing or any other
> purposes in the past year or so has been connected to a Windows
> system that was using encrypted passwords, so I had to make sure
> to enable password encryption on the Samba host.
>
> It would have been one step *simpler* if Samba had password
> encryption turned on by default!  And more secure, too.

Troubleshooting is a chick-and-egg problem.  You need it when
you don't know enough where to point a finger at and once
you do know that, you can troueblshoot on your own.

Your example was not your first experience working with Samba.
I'm talking about newbies.  For experienced admins,
having to set one additional line in smb.conf is no big deal.

All this talk about making things more secure is great.
The most secure server I know of it one that doesn't work.
:-)  Then no one, not even crackers, can log in.

Windows can get away with this because they own the
password db (i.e. SAM).  We don't and therefore have to
interact with it.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org