Default encrypted passwords = yes?

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Thu Sep 27 11:22:29 GMT 2001

TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:

> Herb Lewis wrote:
> >I would vote to leave it as is.
> >
> >> Is there any reason not to make encrypted passwords the default in HEAD?
>
> I vote to change the default.
> You agree the encrypted passwords is recommended, don't you?
> And there are several steps needed to work Samba correctly in both
> case.
>
> So I think to change the default to show that Samba Team recommend
> encrypted password.

Yes I agree that encrypted passwords are the correct thing to do in
MOST cases, but as someone else pointed out if you have a controlled
and secure environment sometimes it is much easier to leave it as
unencrypted and make the registry changes so you do not have to have
2 password files to worry about.

The part I don't like is the fact that if you have encrypted by default
and have no smbpasswd file, you cannot even connect with smbclient as
distributed. This makes it look like we are shipping broken products.
Of course there are ways this could be fixed and still set the default to
encrypted, but you need to do both, not just change the default.

herb