multiple nmbds domains workgroups...

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Fri Sep 14 16:49:01 GMT 2001

> IIRC from talks with Andrew, there are some protocol limitation
> to implementing this.  I'll let him or Chris (or Jeremy)
> comment on this specifics as they are escaping my mind right now.

yes, there are protocol limitations. The problem is that there are
parts of the protocol where the client asks a question that has a
workgroup specific answer but the client gives no indication as to
what workgroup they are interested in. The NetServerEnum RAP call
comes to mind. In that call client may choose whether to supply a
workgroup, and if it isn't supplied then the server is supposed to use
its workgroup. So which workgroup would you use?

That's why when Luke implemented multiple workgroup support in Samba
several years ago we didn't integrate it - we didn't have a solution
to this problem and the consequences were that machines leaked between
workgroups (so you could eventually end up with all machines showing
up in all workgroups). This happens because NetServerEnum is used for
browse synchronisation within workgroups.

I don't think this is the only part of the protocol where you have
this type of problem. It's pretty much an inevitable result of having
a complex protocol combined with Microsoft not implementing
multiple-workgroup support. Programmers get lazy and don't bother
adding a workgroup field to a call then you are stuck with that
decison.

Cheers, Tridge