Turkish translations for swat

Deniz Akkus Kanca deniz at arayan.com
Sun Sep 9 23:12:02 GMT 2001

Hello,
> >In the Printers page, swat hard codes English in -- this makes the page
look
> >pretty ugly in my opinion. Any plans to include this into the .po files?
>
> If your word order bothers you, using %1$s, %2$s instead of %s may help
> you. Do you know this gettext feature?

I know this feature and often use it (Turkish is (S)OV), however, it is not
what I meant:

web/swat.c line 939:
printf("<H2>Printer Parameters</H2>\n");

 printf("<H3>Important Note:</H3>\n");
 printf("Printer names marked with [*] in the Choose Printer drop-down box
");
 printf("are autoloaded printers from ");
 printf("<A HREF=\"/swat/help/smb.conf.5.html#PRINTCAPNAME\"
target=\"docs\">Printcap Name</A>.\n");
 printf("Attempting to delete these printers from SWAT will have no
effect.\n");

This bit of printing is not gettextized and remains in English -- and is
displayed on the Printers menu. This is what I am talking about. Can we get
this gettextized also?

> We did once in original Japanese version,
> please look at http://www1.samba.gr.jp/~monyo/swat1.jpg.
> This version shows one line description per each parameter. Do you
> prefer it?

Yes, much better. This way, we keep the original parameter names while
allowing for a descriptive message.  Otherwise, I am left with (from the
non-English speaker's point of view) a page with 90% English on it.

Can we use this version?

> >I have not yet translated the numerous help pages. Where does one go for
> >translating these? (Where in the source tree I mean, I assume they are
> >generated from a single location)
>
> Sorry, this is not fixed yet, I think.

If, in the meantime, we want to get started on translating the various help
files, where should we start? Meaning, which of the man, sgml, text, yodl,
... formats will be used to generate the others?

Or should we wait? (especially if documentation is going through a rewrite)

Best regards,
Deniz