Deleting parameters.

Sean Elble S_Elble at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 11 22:53:03 GMT 2001

No, we most certainly can't count on RPM to solve the migration problem,
especially when you have those infernal Solaris users who refuse to use
Linux. :-) My idea there was to include a migration script with Samba that
could be called from each individual UNIX's package manager, like Solaris'
pkgadd, or IRIX's tardist packages, or the aforementioned RPM packages. If a
UNIX doesn't support post installation script execution, then the user could
execute the migration script by him/herself. I just used RPM as an example,
because it is what I am most familar with. (havn't had Solaris on my
SPARCstation 5 since I got it, and havn't used my Indigo2 for a couple weeks
. . . have to upgrade Samba on both of them. ;-)

> > branch). The only thing I could disagree with you on is if there's a
> > parameter in Samba that probably should be removed, even if there are
> > vocal users who object to it being removed. What if that one
> > parameter, like the security parameter, is holding back Samba from
> > becoming better as a whole (at least in the 2.2 branch)? Users,
>
> I'm not convinced that "security" is holding anything back.
> That's really the point of this debate.

The security modes may not be holding anything back in the actual Samba code
(I wouldn't know obviously, but it sounds as though it may be), but it might
actually be clearer for _new_ Samba users if we make things simplier, and
more concise, even if that means getting rid of parameters that aren't what
you'd say "well described". :-) Auth order makes a whole lot more sense when
you step back and look at things from the view of a Samba newbie, just
getting their feet wet from the dry world of Windows NT/2000. Maybe security
isn't holding anything back, but potential Samba users? Again, just a
hypothetical point, but something to take into consideration. We aren't just
supporting exisiting Samba users, we're looking to get more. :-)

> Let's be clear here.  We are not debating on whether or not
> old, crafty, outdate code should be rewritten to make Samba better.
> We are talking about changing interfaces.  Changing a interface
> in a module (and I'm referring to smb.conf as the module with the
> interface being used by the sysadmin) means that all consumers
> will have to be rewritten.
>
> I'm am not against changing parameters (everyone know how much
> I hate "read only/writeable/writable"), I'm just not convinced yet
> and want to be enough of a pain that we think before we act. :-)

This again references upon my comment about making smb.conf options more
concise; sure, you might confuse an administrator who has been using Samba
forever, and didn't read up on what he/she was doing, but you might make
life a hell of a lot easier for a new administrator who isn't very
experienced with Samba. Yes, users will have to be filled in on the changes,
but it may be more of a time-saver, in terms of handling "tech support"
questions, later on in the future. I certainly have nothing against thinking
before we act; I just like my way of thinking. :-) I think that's why 8
cents worth now . . . :-)

Sean P. Elble
Editor, Writer, Co-Webmaster
ReactiveLinux.com (Formerly MaximumLinux.org)
http://www.reactivelinux.com/
elbles at reactivelinux.com