netbench failing with oplocks on AIX (fwd)

Scott Prather sprather at austin.ibm.com
Tue May 29 20:03:04 GMT 2001

Here is some (ok a bunch of) additional info.

The main system (S7A) is a 12 processor system, 30 pc clients are all Pentium II 300s, 128mb ram 100mb nics running Windows NT SP5, network setup is 4 100mb switches, the S7A is plugged into each with 4 separate 100mb adapters.

We have used Samba 2.2.0 gold and the cvs tree from 5/17/01.  In each case we have the same problem, eventually one (or more) clients will be unable to open a file.  We have tried to look through the logs (at debug level 5) but cannot see where the problem is.

We have also tested on a smaller 4 processor system with 9 clients (mixture of operating systems) and have the same problem.

We also have seen this problem on a PC running FreeBSD with 9 clients.

In each case, turning off oplocks solves the problems, but kills performance.

The same setups running Samba 2.0.7 work perfectly.

Has anyone else been running similar tests?

--
Scott Prather
MCSE, MCP+I
sprather at austin.ibm.com