netbench failing with oplocks on AIX

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 30 09:19:31 GMT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Scott Prather wrote:

> Has anyone else been running similar tests?

I haven't been running any methodical tests, and I haven't had a
chance to study or properly characterise the problem (which is why I
haven't felt comfortable with raising the issue myself), but I should
probably stick my head above the parapet with a quick "me too" - I
have had noticable difficulties with oplocks in my setup (Solaris 2.6,
Samba 2.2.0, mix of clients mostly Windows 95/98).

Amongst the things that my server does is store application programs to
be run on the clients - with oplocks turned on, clients attempting to load
.exe files, .dll files, etc from the file server frequently froze up and
the logs were filled with messages about oplocks, including:

  oplock_break: end of file from client
  oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.
  request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request ...
  oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
  process_local_message: Received unsolicited break reply - dumping info.

I'm currently running with oplocks off.

And, yes, I realize that the developers need more info to tackle the
problem. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to provide network traces,
level 10 logs, etc, unless and until I am able to reproduce the problems
on some sort of test setup, rather than a production server that is
critical to my organisation. :-(

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology