linux (but not samba) quotas

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Wed Mar 28 19:46:07 GMT 2001

"MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)" wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
> Seems to me that incurring all the disk accesses necessary to actually WRITE
> all those zeros would be more performance costly than adding in some
> overhead to detect a 'holey' write, and verify appropriate diskspace for the
> extended filesize;  if NO (extension would generate a fs full (or quota
> exceed) condition), then return the error to that write at that time...

Actually, it turns out that NT is trying to handle this
by deleting the file on write fail. The problem is in
our handling of setting the delete on close semantics.

I'm currently writing test code in smbtorture to run
against a W2K server so we can "do what it does". Expect
a checkin to fix this in the next day or two (this is a
*subtle* problem).

Jeremy.