linux (but not samba) quotas

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Mar 28 20:30:31 GMT 2001

Hi Jeremy,
Seems to me that incurring all the disk accesses necessary to actually WRITE
all those zeros would be more performance costly than adding in some
overhead to detect a 'holey' write, and verify appropriate diskspace for the
extended filesize;  if NO (extension would generate a fs full (or quota
exceed) condition), then return the error to that write at that time...

Problems with this approach that pop to mind:
1. what about applications that routinely extend the file a little at a
time, thus incurring more overhead from the fstat or whatever we use to
check the diskspace availability
2. some other process sneaking in and using up the disk space between when
we say the holey write would be ok, and when we actually WRITE the data.

Just a thought,
Don