VxFS quotas

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Tue Mar 27 09:28:53 GMT 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, andrew morgan wrote:

> I'm running Samba 2.0.7 on Solaris 8 with Veritas File System v3.3.3.
>
> Samba fails trying to get the quota on a VxFS partition.  Here is a chunk
> of the logs at debug level 5:
>
> [...]
>
> This is on a 120GB partition.  I've got my quota set to:
>
> [root at raven fs]# vxquota -v morgan
> Disk quotas for morgan (uid 27832):
> Filesystem     usage  quota  limit    timeleft  files  quota  limit    timeleft
> /users/u1          8   1000   2000                  2      0      0
>
> The code seems to be failing on this call:
>
>   ret = ioctl(file, VX_ADMIN_IOCTL, &genbuf);
>
> where ret = ESRCH (errno = 3).  I can't for the life of me figure out what
> "No such process" has to do with this.  The samba code seems to be
> following some examples I've seen from Veritas.
>
> Is anyone running VxFS with quotas?

Yes.  We are successfully running a very similar system:
   samba 2.0.7, Solaris 8, VxFS 3.4

And until Christmas we were running :
   samba 2.0.7, Solaris 2.6, VxFS 3.? (prob. 3.2)

<!-- history attribute="boring" action="skip" -->

I developed samba's VxFS quota support on an even earlier version of samba
(2.0.5, I think), and it has continued to work under the various upgrades
(samba, Solaris, Veritas).

During term-time, we typically have 700 simultaneous connections on this
fileserver.  And on the odd occasions when we have had trouble with quotas
which were on much smaller, but non-Veritas servers, the users have
certainly let us know...!

The code was informally checked by someone in Veritas who has an interest
in samba, and he also submitted a couple of improvements to it before
release in the samba distribution.  Although the official line from
Veritas is no support (see the disclaimer in the source), nevertheless the
Veritas person who checked it was keen to see that it worked OK.

<!-- /history -->

So I am reasonably confident that it basically works.  (But I'm also quite
willing to believe that my code might have a lurking flaw...)

I wonder...  Although you have set the quota for the user, is the quota
system actually running on that filesystem?  (Nothing to do with samba.)

Just as on a Solaris UFS you need the /etc/vfstab "rq" attribute, so with
Veritas you would need the /etc/vfstab "quota" attribute.

Your first step should be to forget about samba.  Rather, simply verify
within Solaris that quotas really are working, by creating and deleting a
few UNIX files and watching the quota.  Only when you are happy with the
UNIX (non-samba) behaviour should you then look to the samba behaviour...

Hope that helps.