PPC smbfs history (circa 2.1.24) question

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sun Mar 25 13:30:16 GMT 2001

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Chris Worley wrote:

> The smbmount seems fine (gethostbyname doesn't work from the Tivo's
> libc, but I got around that).
>
> The initial request from smbmount to the module panics in the modules'
> socket code.
>
> I'm just guessing that this is a big endian issue.

smbfs < 2.1.52 (guessed from the patch from .51 to .52 where the interface
changes to something resembling the current) uses smbmount from the
separate smbfs-2.0.2 package.

It is available from the 'contributed' dir on the samba ftp/http site, or
on ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/smbfs/

In 2.1.121 the kernel documentation was changed to point to the smbmount
in the samba package (1.9.18pl10 was the current version then). I assume
strange things may happen if you use the wrong package (but I haven't
really looked at smbfs-2.0.2 or 1.9.18pl10 for that matter).

> So, I'm guessing there was a point in the 2.1 kernels when the PPC was
> addressed and fixed.

What makes you think current versions works on ppc?
(or any other bigendian machine)

I have never received any feedback from a big endian user, the code
attempts to do the right thing but I wouldn't bet on it.

I have considered buying a testmachine of some sort to verify endianess
things (preferrably something cheap with a pci bus) but I have had enough
work to keep me occupied without looking for new problems ... :)

/Urban