addprinter?

Gary Wilson wilsong at sergievsky.cpmc.columbia.edu
Tue Mar 6 16:45:58 GMT 2001

> On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 13:58:00 Gary Wilson wrote:
> >
> > I am still trying to get the Add Printer Wizard to work.
> > I am using the latest CVS Samba_2_2. Since this is all
> > undocumented, I find I'm having some trouble. The drivers
> > upload okay, but on the final step I get an access
> > denied error. I think that this must be because I do
> > not have an addprinter command defined. Is there a script
> > for this? Can someone help me figure out
> > how to set up a printer from Windows in Samba 2.2?
>
> Gary,
>
> Have you read the chapter on "Printing Support in Samba
> 2.2.x" in docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf?  This was
> formally the PRINTER_DRIVER2.txt file.
>
> Also see the following parameters in smb.conf(5)
>
> printer admin
> addprinter command
> deleteprinter command
> enumports command
>
> let me know if you have more specific questions.

Thanks for your response. By the way, the PDF how-to collection was new to
me. Very nicely done. I appreciate it a lot.

I have read all of the parameters and the PRINTER_DRIVER2.txt document
(which is now in the PDF). I just reread them. I think that I've got
everything set up as far as I can go. I'm using a printer admin user who is
also mapped to be root. I can install printer drivers using Server
Properties and going to the Drivers tab and clicking on add. But that's all
that works. The APW fails every time when I get to Finish. Since I don't
have an addprinter command, deleteprinter command, or an enumports command,
I assume that is why it fails. But there are no sample scripts for these and
the utilities themselves are not included, like make_printerdef is. So I'm
not sure what to do next to get the APW to work.

Thanks, Gary