VFS modules / MSDFS tweaking

Michael Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com
Mon Jul 23 14:24:55 GMT 2001

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 02:39:07PM +0100, Kevin (HxPro) Wheatley wrote:
> I'm thinking of tweaking (via VFS) the msdfs links to translate
> /hosts/server/share used by our Unix machines into MSDFS redirects for
> our Win2/NT clients.

Another useful module that I have been thinking of is translating automount
maps into msdfs shares as well.  This could be done via calls from the VFS
layer to the appropriate NIS netgroup map.

One problem that I anticipate as I implement this is the lack of docs on
writing VFS modules.  The samples are great, but how do I make use of the
"vfs options" share parameter from a module that I write?  I have seen no
reference, and a quick look at smbd/vfs*.c does not give me much of a clue.

> On a related note, if I have a read only share serverd by multiple
> machines, can I get away with DNS round robin style load balancing, or
> is there something in the MSDFS bits that make this better ?

I would love to hear the answer to this as well.  Are there any hard-core
docs on how MS clients choose which server to talk to?  The only docs I
have seen so far are written at a level appropriate for managers, not
people trying to get the most out of it.

Mike