LSB compatible Samba ?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Sun Jul 1 17:52:40 GMT 2001

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Michael Sweet wrote:

> [updated]

> Jeremy Allison wrote:

> > Well - version 1.0 of LSB has finally been released (at :

> > http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/book1.html

> > so in the spirit of standardization, I'd be very happy
> > to include patches to the packaging/ area of Samba to
> > create an LSB complient package (probably called :
> > lsb-samba.org-samba to match the spec) as soon as possible.

> > It'd be great to get this in 2.2.1, but I'm not going to
> > hold off shipping for it....

> OK, here goes:

>     1. Add an "lsb-samba" spec file for RPM (RPM is the only
>        supported packager format), and we can add an EPM list
>        file that can generate it, too...

>        The "lsb-samba" package needs to depend on "lsb".

>        The "samba" name must be registered with the LANANA
>        body (link points to a page that says nothing is
>        up yet, tho)

>     2. Configure the source with:

>        ./configure --with-fhs --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
>             --sharedstatedir=/var/opt/ --datadir=/usr/share \
>             --with-configdir=/etc/samba \
>             --with-swatdir=/usr/share/samba/swat

>        (SAMBA is exempt from the FHS /usr/opt, /etc/opt, and /var/opt
>        nonsense IIRC)

Bear in mind that the most important new feature that the LSB brings to the
table is the specification of an ABI that LSB packages are allowed to depend
on.  This means that a true Samba LSB package has to be built on a pure LSB
system, lest it end up linked against more recent versions of libraries or
library symbols.  Making a Samba package that /will/ build on an LSB system is
a lot easier than making one that /is/ built against an LSB system. :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer